Raspberry-Marzipan Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 package (7 ounce size) almond paste, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh or unsweetened frozen (thawed) raspberries
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firm margarine or butter
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square pan.
- Prepare Streusel. Beat remaining ingredients except almond paste and raspberries
on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Spread half of the batter in pan. Sprinkle with half each of the almond paste, raspberries
- Repeat with remaining batter, almond paste, raspberries and Streusel.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool.
- Streusel: Mix flour and sugar. Cut in margarine until crumbly. Stir in almonds.
Apricot-Marzipan Coffee Cake: Substitute 8 ounces (1 cup) dried apricots,
cut into quarters for the raspberries.
Raspberry-Chocolate Coffee Cake: Substitute 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet
chocolate chips (1 cup) for the almond paste.