Sour Cream Cherry Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
- 1/2 cup best quality cherry preserves
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter two 8-inch-square cake pans.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat butter with sugar until well combined.
- Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Add sour cream and mix thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry
ingredients to the butter mixture. Batter will be stiff.
- Stir in vanilla, zest and cherry preserves.
- Spread batter in pans.
- Bake for 20 to
30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Makes 2 cakes.
Source: Messenger-Inquirer, Owensboro, Kentucky - August 12, 2001.