Strawberry Crumb Coffee Cake
- 1 teaspoon plus 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons Steen's 100 percent Pure Cane Syrup or other cane syrup
- 2 tablespoons milk
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10 x 2-inch round cake pan with 1 teaspoon
of the butter.
- In a medium-size nonreactive saucepan, combine the strawberries, 1/2 cup of the
sugar, and the lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook at a boil for 3
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Add to the strawberry
mixture and cook, stirring, until it thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from the
heat and let cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream 1/4 pound of the butter with the remaining 1 cup
sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Into a medium mixing bowl, sift 3 1/2 cups of the flour, the baking powder,
baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, and the salt.
- Add the flour mixture,
buttermilk, and vanilla extract to the butter mixture and beat with an electric mixer until
everything in incorporated.
- In another medium-size mixing bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup butter, the
remaining 1/2 cup flour, the brown sugar, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
Using your hands, combine the mixture until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan.
- Spread the strawberry mixture over the batter.
- Drop heaping spoonsful of the remaining batter over the mixture,
about 1 inch apart.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the surface.
- Put the cake pan on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 40-50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, cane
syrup, and milk until smooth. Drizzle the frosting over the top of the coffee cake.
- Cut into slices and serve.
Posted by kdipaolo at Recipe Goldmine May 30, 2001.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Coffee Cake Recipes