Strawberry Pecan Coffee Cake
- 1 cup fresh or frozen whole strawberries, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons milk, low-fat
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If using frozen strawberries, thaw and cut into pieces. Combine with brown
sugar and set aside.
- Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- Cake: In a large bowl, combine flours, granulated sugar, baking powder,
baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, butter, vanilla and egg. Mix well
and add to flour mixture. Stir until just moistened.
- Spoon 2/3 of the batter into prepared pan.
- Spread strawberry mixture evenly over the batter.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Sprinkle pecans on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes
- Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing from pan.
- Icing: Combine confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla extract. Stir
well and drizzle icing over cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition: One serving provides approximately: 170 calories, 6 g fat (2 g
saturated), 28 mg cholesterol, 130 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 3 g
protein, 19 mcg folate, 1 mg iron
Recipe and photo credit: Wheat Foods Council