- 1 tablespoon butter or cooking oil
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium
- 2 tablespoons shredded low-moisture part
skim mozzarella cheese
- Flour tortillas, optional
- Salsa, optional
sour cream, optional
- In 10-inch omelet pan or skillet with ovenproof handle over medium heat,
heat butter until just hot enough to sizzle a drop of water.
- Add pepper, onion, chili powder and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally,
until pepper is soft and onion is translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato. Continue cooking for 1 additional minute.
- Remove from heat. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat together eggs and water until blended. Pour over vegetables.
Cook over medium heat until eggs are almost set, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Top with tomato slices.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Broil about 6 inches from heat until cheese is melted and eggs are completely
set, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cut into wedges.
- Serve with tortillas and top with salsa and/or sour cream, if desired.
Yield: 2 to 4 servings
To make handle ovenproof, wrap completely with aluminum foil.
Reprinted with permission from
the American Egg Board.