Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Yield: 3 servings
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped, seeded, peeled cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions with tops, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef or ground lamb
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mint leaves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 eggs, divided
- 6 tablespoons water, divided
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- Sliced tomatoes (optional)
- Mint leaves (optional)
- In small bowl, stir together sour cream, cucumber, 1/4 cup onions, and garlic powder until well combined. Cover and chill.
- In 10-inch omelet pan or skillet over medium heat, cook beef until no longer pink. Drain.
- Add spinach, 1/4 cup of the remaining onions, parsley, mint, salt, and pepper. Cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach is tender. Set aside and keep warm.
- Beat 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons water in small bowl until blended.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 7- to 10-inch nonstick omelet pan or skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Pour in egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edges.
- Gently push cooked portions from edges toward the center with inverted turner so that uncooked eggs can reach the hot pan surface. Continue cooking, tilting pan and gently moving cooked portions as needed.
- When top surface of eggs is thickened and no visible liquid egg remains, fill half of omelet with 1/2 cup beef mixture. With pancake turner, fold omelet in half and slide onto plate.
- Garnish with tomatoes and mint, if desired.
- Repeat twice more with remaining egg mixture.
Per serving using ground beef without tomatoes and mint: Calories 485, Protein 30g, Carbohydrates 7g, Total Fat 37g, Cholesterol 515mg. Sodium 726mg