Prickly Pear Eggs
- 1 or 2 fresh nopales
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup red chile sauce
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Trim and clean the cactus pads. Dice each pad, then cover with salted water in
a saucepan, and simmer gently until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain in a sieve and
rinse under cold water to rid pads of their sticky, okra-like juice.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion in butter or vegetable oil until soft. Add
the nopales and red chili sauce and mix well. Break the eggs gently on top of the
mixture, cover tightly, and steam until the egg whites are set, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve directly from the frying pan.
Variation: Scramble the eggs, stirring them into the mixture in the skillet;
continue to stir until the eggs are cooked but still moist. You may also add some
chopped cooked bacon, if desired.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Egg Recipes