Baked Orange French Toast
- 1 large orange
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Butter or margarine
- 12 white bread slices, cut in half
- 1 (10 ounce) jar orange marmalade
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Into pie plate or shallow baking dish, grate orange to make 1 tablespoon grated
- Into measuring cup, squeeze juice from orange; add 1/3 cup juice to orange
peel with eggs and cardamom; with fork or wire whisk, beat until mixed.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine in the oven in a 15 1/2 x 10 1/2-inch jellyroll
pan; remove from oven.
- Dip half of bread slices into egg mixture to coat all sides; place in one layer
in buttered jellyroll pan. Bake 5 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
- Arrange on heated platter; keep warm.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter or margarine in same jellyroll pan; repeat dipping and baking
- In small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt orange marmalade with 2 tablespoons
reserved orange juice, stirring occasionally.
- Pass warm marmalade mixture and confectioners' sugar.
Makes 6 servings.