Banana Stuffed French Toast
- 2 firm-ripe bananas
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons Cointreau or Grand Marnier
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large loaf of challah, brioche or Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting
- Maple syrup
- Cut the bananas into 1/4-inch thick diagonal slices.
- Whisk together the eggs,
half-and-half, milk, liqueur, orange zest, cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt. Set
- Slice off the heels of the bread and discard. Cut the loaf into eight 1-inch
pieces. Then cut bread slices horizontally, nearly in half, leaving one edge intact
to create a pocket. Fill each bread pocket with 4 more banana slices. Place the
stuffed bread in a large deep baking dish in one layer. Pour the egg mixture over
them, and allow to soak 5 minutes on each side, until all liquid is absorbed.
- Heat the butter in a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook the toast
in batches (adding more butter, if necessary), about 5 to 6 minutes per side, until
golden brown. Transfer the cooked slices to a baking sheet in a warm (250 degrees
- Place 2 pieces of toast on a plate, dust with confectioners' sugar
and serve with warm maple syrup.
Posted by Annette at Recipe Goldmine 12/23/2001 9:10 pm.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> French Toast Recipes