Indulgent Stuffed French Toast
with Wisconsin Havarti
Warming and puffy stuffed French toast accentuated by mild and
buttery Wisconsin Havarti cheese, a Danish-style specialty.
- 1 (16-ounce) challah or French bread loaf, cubed
- 1 (8-ounce) package Wisconsin Havarti Cheese, cut into thin slices
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 (12-ounce) jar blueberry preserves
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Arrange half of bread cubes in lightly buttered 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
Top evenly with Havarti; top with remaining bread cubes.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, butter, and maple
syrup in large mixing bowl; pour over bread mixture, pressing bread cubes to
absorb egg mixture. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon over the top. Cover baking pan
with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 30 more minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Stir together blueberries and blueberry preserves in a small saucepan over
low heat until warm.
- Serve blueberry sauce over French toast.
Servings: 8 to 10
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin