Awesome Layered Grits
- 1 cup uncooked grits (may use quick- cooking grits prepared according to package directions)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) roll garlic cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 or 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 large sweet onion (Vidalia preferred), shredded
- 2 cups shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir in grits and salt. Cover,
reduce heat and simmer until done (about 20 minutes).
- Add garlic cheese, butter, eggs and milk to grits, stirring well. Transfer
to a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool. (Recipe may be done ahead to this point.)
- Layer tomato slices, basil, onion, Monterey jack and Cheddar over grits.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
- To serve, cut into squares.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Per serving: Calories 413 (66% fat) Fat 30 g (18 g sat) Fiber 1 g Chol 130
mg Sodium 714 mg Carbs 17 g Calcium 477 mg
Source: The Dallas Morning News - 1/10/01
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Grits Recipes