Orange Blossom Grits
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3/4 quick grits, uncooked*
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Mix water with orange juice and bring to a boil.
- Slowly stir in grits, with orange peel and salt if desired. Reduce heat
and simmer 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a 1-quart serving dish. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.
- Let stand until brown sugar melts, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve with ham or poultry.
Yield: 6 servings
* To make this recipe with regular grits, increase water to 2 1/2 cups and simmer
for an extra 12 to 14 minutes.
Quaker Oats Test Kitchens, Chicago, Illinois