Gingerbread Pancakes with Lemon Sauce
A lemony sauce dresses up ginger-spiced griddlecakes for a weekend breakfast.
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon each baking soda and salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pancakes: Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
Beat egg with milk in a large bowl. Beat in molasses, then oil. Add flour mixture
and stir just until combined. (Batter can be a little lumpy.)
- Grease seasoned pancake griddle, if necessary, and place over medium heat until
a few drops of water dance on the hot griddle. Pour a scant 1/4 cup batter onto
hot griddle for each pancake.
- Cook pancakes on first side until they are puffed, full of bubbles, and look
dry at edges. Then turn and cook until second side is browned.
- Serve with hot Lemon Sauce.
- Lemon Sauce: In a medium saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and nutmeg.
Gradually mix in water. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture is
thick and clear. Add butter, lemon zest and lemon juice, stirring until
butter melts. Serve hot.
Yield: about 18 (3 1/2-inch) pancakes; about 1 1/3 cups Lemon Sauce
Per serving: 118 calories; 4.7 g fat (1.6 g saturated fat; 36 percent calories
from fat); 17.2 g carbohydrates; 18 mg cholesterol; 101 mg sodium; 2 g protein;
0.3 g fiber
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine April 28 2001.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Pancake Recipes