Using the blue cornmeal will give a beautiful bluish tint to your hotcakes. Add
blueberries for a matching color and memorable flavor.
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup blue cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Combine all dry ingredients together in large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, slightly beat egg yolks.
- Slowly add buttermilk to egg yolks.
- Next add egg mixture to dry ingredients, stirring until moist.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; then fold into batter.
- Prepare large skillet or griddle by brushing with vegetable oil. Heat. Spoon
batter onto griddle (about 1/2 cup per hotcake). Turn when bubbles form on surface.
- Serve with blueberries, applesauce, syrup, preserves or any of your favorite