Kahlua and Chocolate Pancakes
- 1 3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons
unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Vegetable shortening, for frying
- Orange Syrup (recipe follows)
- Chopped pecans,
whipped cream, and fresh strawberries (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium-size bowl, lightly beat eggs; beat in milk, Kahlua and butter.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until smooth, thin batter forms.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
- In large heavy skillet, melt 1 teaspoon shortening. Pour about 1/4 cup of the
batter into skillet. Repeat to form as many pancakes as will fit into skillet without
touching. fry pancakes 2 to 3 minutes or until surface appears dry and dotted with
holes. Turn pancakes over and fry 2 to 3 minutes until second side is brown at the
- Remove pancakes to baking sheet and keep warm in oven until all batter has been
- Serve with Orange Syrup, pecans, whipped cream, and strawberries, if desired.
- Orange Syrup: In 2-quart saucepan, combine 2 cups orange juice and 1/2 cup sugar.
Heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until reduced to
1 1/4 cups - about 15 to 20 minutes.
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 2/16/2002 10:06 pm.