Lemon Poppyseed Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 stick (1/4 pound) melted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Grated zest of two lemons*
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds
- Over a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda
- In another bowl, whisk together the sour cream, whole milk, melted butter, large
eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest and poppy seeds until well combined.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry, using a whisk to mix, but whisk only long enough
to combine ingredients.
- Heat a griddle or large frying pan. Add just enough oil to coat the bottom of
the pan and pour off any excess. Using a ladle or a pitcher with a spout, pour the
batter onto the griddle to form pancakes about 6 inches in diameter. When bubbles
appear in the center of the cakes, turn them over using a long spatula. Let the
other side cook a few minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove cakes as they are cooked onto an ovenproof platter and place platter in
a 250 degree F oven to keep warm while cooking the remaining pancakes.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.
Yield: 6 to 8 pancakes
* When grating the lemon zest, be sure to grate only the yellow peel, not
the white pith underneath.