Lemon Soufflé Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- About 1/4 cup melted
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, lemon peel, lemon juice
and 2 tablespoons butter.
- In a deep bowl with a mixer on high speed, whip egg whites until they hold stiff,
- Pour buttermilk mixture into flour mixture; stir to blend. Add egg whites and
fold gently to blend.
- On a buttered griddle or 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat, pour batter
in 1/2-cup portions, without portions touching. Cook until golden brown on each
side, turning once, 4 to 5 minutes total. Keep warm. Repeat to cook remaining pancakes.
- Meanwhile, in a 1- to 2-quart pan over medium heat, combine 2 tablespoons butter,
syrup and blueberries. Heat, stirring occasionally, until butter melts, about 3
- Serve pancakes with blueberry syrup.
Yield: 8 pancakes, or 4 servings
Per serving: 687 calories; 19 g fat (11 g saturated fat; 25 percent calories
from fat); 118 g carbohydrates; 150 mg cholesterol; 897 mg sodium; 13 g protein;
2.5 g fiber
Source: Sunset magazine