Orange Pancakes with Tropical Citrus Sauce
Feature these fruity pancakes at a brunch accompanied with ham or Canadian-style
bacon slices, assorted fresh fruit and frosty glasses of Florida orange juice.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups Florida Orange Juice
- 2 teaspoons margarine or butter
- 1 (8-ounce) can pineapple tidbits (juice pack), drained
- 2 1/4 cups reduced-fat packaged biscuit mix
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup frozen Florida Orange Juice Concentrate, thawed
- 2 beaten eggs or 1/2 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange
juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir
2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine and pineapple.
- For pancakes, in a medium bowl stir together biscuit mix, milk, thawed concentrate,
and eggs until combined. For each pancake, pour about 3 tablespoons batter onto
a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Cook over medium heat about
2 minutes on each side or until golden (turn when pancakes have bubbly surfaces
and edges are slightly dry). Keep hot while cooking remaining pancakes.
- Stir banana into sauce; serve warm sauce over pancakes.
Makes 6 servings (3 pancakes and about 1/3 cup sauce)