Pumpkin Pancakes with Hot Cider Syrup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin, mashed
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 ounces melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
Hot Cider Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Grated rind from 1 lemon
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, coriander,
cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, pumpkin, egg yolks, butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour combined liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir until just blended.
- Carefully fold in egg whites.
- Cook pancakes on a lightly oiled griddle.
- Hot Cider Syrup: In a small saucepan, combine apple cider, brown sugar, corn
syrup, butter, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon rind. Bring to a boil. Reduce
heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Add apples. Heat for several minutes more.
Serve over pancakes.
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fruit;
5 1/2 Fat; 4 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
Per serving: 786 Calories (kcal); 29g Total Fat; (32% calories from fat);
11g Protein; 124g Carbohydrate; 212mg Cholesterol; 977mg Sodium