Basic Sweet Dough
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 1/2 cups unsifted flour
Preparation and Filling
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (for brushing on the dough)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dates
- 3/4 cups raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts, divided
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1 egg yolk, combined with 2 tablespoons water
- Basic Sweet Dough: Scald milk. Stir in sugar, salt, and butter. Cool to lukewarm.
- Measure warm water into large bowl and sprinkle on the yeast. Stir until dissolved.
Stir in lukewarm milk mixture, eggs and half of the flour - beat until smooth. Stir
in remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out on a floured board and knead
8 minutes or place in an electric mixer with a dough hook until smooth and elastic.
Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top of dough.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk. Punch down and shape as desired.
- Preparation and Filling: Divide dough in half. Roll out half of dough on floured
board into a 9 x 18-inch rectangle. Brush with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter.
- Combine dates, raisins and lemon rind with 1/2 cup of the nuts and 3 tablespoons
of the sugar. Sprinkle half of this filling over the dough.
- Fold outside third of dough over center; fold again to make a 3-layer strip 18
inches long. Pinch ends to seal.
- Cut and divide into 9 (2-inch) sections. Make four 1/4-inch cuts in one side
of each section. Place on greased baking sheets and shape into bear claws by separating
the four cut sections.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Combine egg yolk and water. Brush rolls and sprinkle with 1/4 cup nuts and remaining
sugar. Let rise, uncovered, until doubled in bulk, about one hour.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine 6/15/01 4:46:14 pm.
Source: post-gazette.com - recipe sent by Helen Lamison of Carnegie
>> Breakfast Pastry Recipes