Birthday Cake Morning Rolls
Birthday Cake Morning Rolls. Tender yellow birthday cake rolls with bright sugar filling and a light milky glaze.
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 to 120 degrees F)
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box Duncan Hines® Classic Yellow Cake Mix
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, very soft
- 1/2 cup colored or granulated sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Stir together warm water and yeast in a large bowl. Let stand for five minutes; small bubbles should rise to the surface.
- Stir cake mix and 2 cups flour into yeast mixture with a wooden spoon. Add remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time, until a ball forms and pulls away from the sides; adding all flour may not be necessary.
- Spray a clean bowl with cooking spray; place dough in bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel and let rise until doubled in a warm place, such as an oven with only the light turned on, about 1 hour.
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with cooking spray. When dough has risen, transfer to a lightly floured surface. Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll dough into a 20 x 16-inch rectangle, about 1/8-inch thick. Spread softened butter evenly over entire surface of dough, then sprinkle evenly with colored sugar.
- Roll up dough tightly from one long end and cut evenly into 12 rolls using a serrated knife. Transfer to pan, cover, and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Once rolls have risen, bake for 20 to 22 minutes until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Glaze: Whisk together confectioners’ sugar, melted butter and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle over slightly cooled rolls; serve warm or room temperature.
Yield: 12 servings
Nutrition Information: 417 calories, 68g carbs
- Use several colors of sanding sugar in stripes on the dough to make your birthday cake rolls more visually interesting; create a rainbow,or match a birthday color scheme.
- For fresh-baked rolls in the morning: after cutting the rolls and placing them in a pan, cover them and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the fridge in the morning for 30 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees F; bake for 25 to 28 minutes and glaze as normal.
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Conagra Brands, Inc.
This page may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our Disclosure Policy.