Blackberry Breakfast Bars
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries or raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- For filling, in a medium saucepan combine berries, sugar, water, lemon juice
and teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about
8 minutes or till slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
and baking soda. Stir in melted butter or margarine until thoroughly combined. Set
aside 1 cup of the oat mixture for topping. Press remaining oat mixture into an
ungreased 9-inch square pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Carefully spread filling on top of baked crust. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture.
Lightly press oat mixture into filling.
- Bake in the 350 degree F oven for 20 to
25 minutes more or till topping is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.