Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Blackberry Breakfast Bars
Yield: 18 bars
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries or raspberries
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- For filling, in a medium saucepan combine berries, sugar, water, lemon juice and teaspoon cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for about 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and baking soda. Stir in melted butter until thoroughly combined. Set aside 1 cup of the oat mixture for topping. Press remaining oat mixture into an ungreased 9-inch square pan.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Carefully spread filling on top of baked crust. Sprinkle with reserved oat mixture. Lightly press oat mixture into filling.
- Bake in the 350 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes more or until topping is set. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars.