- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening with a pastry blender
until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk, stirring until dry ingredients are
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 4 or 5 times. Roll
dough to a 12-inch square on a lightly floured surface. Spread dough with butter;
sprinkle with brown sugar. Roll up jellyroll fashion; pinch seam to seal. Cut into
12 (1-inch) slices. Place cut side up in greased muffin pans.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.