California Walnut Early Morning Cookies
These soft, moist cookies are a good breakfast snack. Store in an airtight container
for maximum freshness.
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter
- 3 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups dates or raisins
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1 small can crushed pineapple
- 2 1/2 tablespoons maple flavoring
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 5 cups oatmeal
- 3 cups chopped California walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter, applesauce and sugar in a large bowl. Add crushed pineapple with
juice, vanilla and maple flavoring.
- Combine flour, dry milk, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Blend into creamed mixture.
- Blend in oats, dates or raisins and California walnuts. Drop dough in round tablespoons
onto baking pan. Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
Makes 50 (2-inch) cookies.