- 1 package yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup lukewarm milk (scalded, then cooled)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped nuts,
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soft butter
- Braid: Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in eggs, milk, butter, sugar and
salt. Stir in 1 cup flour. Stir in remaining flour, continue stirring until soft.
Cover and let rise in warm place till double-about 1 hour.
- Caramel Filling: Stir dough down by beating about 25 strokes. Turn onto well
floured surface, roll into rectangle 18 x 12-inches. Spread with Caramel filling.
Cut into 3 strips 18 x 4 inches. Roll each into rope, pinch edges and ends. Place
diagonally and close together on greased cookie sheet. Braid ropes gently and loosely.
Do not stretch. Pinch ends, tuck under. Cover and let rise about 30 minutes. Place
oven rack below center of oven. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Brown Butter Glaze: Heat 1/4 cup butter over medium heat till brown. Remove from
heat; stir in 2 cups powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir in 1 to
2 tablespoons milk till smooth. Add a little hot water if needed.
Posted by Chyrel at Recipe Goldmine 9/16/2001 11:51 am.