Cinnamon Cocoa Breakfast Rolls
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope fast-acting dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cooked, mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 extra tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 1 1/3 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, undissolved yeast and
- Combine and heat water, milk, butter and the mashed potatoes until very warm
(120 to 130 degrees F). Gradually add to flour mixture. Beat for 2 minutes at medium
speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl often.
- Add eggs and 1 cup flour; beat for 2 minutes
at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly
floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll dough to an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Brush with the melted butter. Sprinkle
with the filling made by mixing the 1/4 cup sugar, cocoa powder and cinnamon (spice
fans might want more cinnamon; if so, dribble on more melted butter, then sprinkle
with additional sugar and cinnamon).
- Beginning at long end of dough rectangle, roll up tightly. Pinch seam to seal.
Cut into 12 pieces. Place, cut sides up, into 12 greased muffin cups. Cover; let
rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from cups and cool on wire racks.
- Sift confectioners' sugar over the tops.