- 3/4 cup milk, scalded
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 packages yeast
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter
- Canned apple, cherry or blueberry pie filling or choice of fillings (recipes follow)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon, or less if desired
- Combine scalded milk, sugar, salt, and butter and cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Stir in almond extract and
beaten eggs. Add lukewarm mixture to yeast and then add egg mixture. Gradually add
flour. Place dough in a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Chill in refrigerator, covered,
for 1 to 2 hours.
- Turn chilled dough onto a floured board. Roll to 12 x 16 inches. Spread 1/3 cup
butter over 2/3 of dough. Fold unspread portion over half of the remaining dough.
Fold over remaining third. Repeat this procedure twice more rolling to 12 x 16-inches
each time. Return dough to refrigerator and chill overnight.
- When ready to bake: Divide dough in half. Roll to 14 x 9 inches. Cut into strips,
with a pastry cutter, 14 x 3/4 inches. Twist and form each strip into a roll or
circle, building up sides, placing on a greased cookie sheet.
- Fill shells with choice of pie filling or fillings below.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over pastries. Cover and let rise in
warm place, until doubled.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 12 minutes. If desired, drizzle or frost with Butter
Makes 24 to 30.
Fillings for Danish Pastries
Vanilla Custard Filling
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine cream, flour, egg yolks, and sugar. Cook over low heat,
stirring occasionally, until thickened and smooth. Add vanilla and cool.
- 1 (8 ounce) can almond paste
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- Mix together until well blended.
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg, beaten until thick
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract, to taste
- Beat softened cream cheese. Beat egg until thick then add sugar and vanilla extract.
Add this to cream cheese and mix well.
Butter Cream Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Cream together until smooth.
Source: old Pepperidge Farm recipe book
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Breakfast Pastry Recipes