Fried Cornmeal Mush
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- In a heavy saucepan or double boiler top, bring to a boil the 3 cups water.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl stir cornmeal, cold water and salt together until smooth
with no lumps.
- Add the soaked cornmeal to the boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir
2 minutes. Cover and reduce the heat cook over boiling water in a double boiler.
Continue cooking until the mush tastes thoroughly cooked (about 30 to 45 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, rinse a small loaf pan with cold water. Fill with the cooked mush
and cover to prevent a crust forming. Chill.
- Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Dip in flour. Sauté slowly in butter or bacon fat.
(Best if the mush is cooked the night before to be chilled and ready for frying
- Serve hot with maple syrup as a breakfast dish, a dessert or an accompaniment
to ham or chicken.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Breakfast Pastry Recipes