Strawberry Rhubarb Rolls
If you like more syrup, make extra and tint with a drop of red food coloring
and a dash of almond or strawberry flavoring. Pour over top.
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup light cream
- Melted butter
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups finely diced rhubarb
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and 1 cup water in a pan and boil for 5 minutes. Pour into
a 9-inch square pan.
- For shortcake, mix together the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar and
salt. Cut in the butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs.
- Combine egg and cream and add to dry ingredients, stirring only to moisten. Roll
dough into a 9 x 15-inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter and top with berries
and rhubarb. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar. Roll this lengthwise, like you would a
jellyroll, and cut into 12 slices. Place on top of syrup in square pan and bake for
25 to 30 minutes at 450 degrees F.
- Serve warm.