White House Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 to 6 cups flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 eggs
- Mix yeast, warm water and 1/2 cup of the sugar; set aside.
- Warm milk and add butter. Add beaten eggs, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and salt.
Add yeast mixture then slowly add flour until smooth.
- Let rise until double in bulk (about 1 hour), punch down; let rise again.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out on greased surface in oblong shape, about 1/2-inch thick and spread
with melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts and raisins, if desired.
Grease fingers and roll like a long jellyroll. Cut slices 1/2-inch thick with a
long thread. Put into greased tin 1/4 inch apart.
- Let rise in warm place about 45 minutes, then bake for 25 minutes.
- Cool, frost with caramel or white icing, and sprinkle with nuts, if desired.
The stickier the dough, the better the rolls will be.