Potato Hash with Eggs and Mushrooms
A portabella mushroom blends seamlessly with the Italian sausage, while the peppers
add color to the dish. Perfect for an everyday breakfast or weekend brunch.
- 1 large fresh portabella mushroom
- 1 tablespoon(15 mL) olive oil
- 3 mild Italian sausages, removed from casing and crumbled
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1/4 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 large eggs
- Chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C.
- Place portabella mushroom in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.
Pulse until finely chopped.
- In a large non-stick, oven-safe skillet heat olive oil over medium heat.
Add chopped mushrooms, Italian sausage, onion and garlic. Use spatula to break
up sausage into tiny pieces.
- Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside. Leave any fat renderings in
- Heat pan with the sausage renderings over medium heat. Add diced potatoes.
Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes until softened.
- Add diced peppers and increase to medium-high heat, continue to cook until
potatoes are crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Add sausage back to pan; cook for another 2-3 minutes before stirring.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Crack eggs in each quadrant of the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place skillet in oven and bake for 20 minutes, until eggs are set.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 15 min | Serves: 4
Recipe courtesy of Mushrooms Canada.
Reprinted with permission from the Mushroom Council.