Breakfast Grilled Cheese
Breakfast Grilled Cheese is a sourdough bread sandwich stuffed with sausage, eggs, spinach and three cheeses.
- 1/2 pound bulk hot breakfast sausage
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon Jane’s Krazy Mixed-up Salt, optional
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened and divided
- 4 ounces (1 cup) Hook's Colby cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces (1 cup) Hook's Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup grated Reynaldo’s Queso Cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink. Drain sausage on paper towels. Wipe out the pan.
- Whisk the eggs, water and salt, if desired, in bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium heat, swirling to coat bottom of pan. Add egg mixture; cook and stir until eggs are almost set.
- Add in sausage. Cook and stir until eggs are set. Remove from the skillet; keep warm. Wipe out the pan.
- Combine the colby, monterey jack and cotija in a bowl.
- Top four slices of bread with spinach, egg and cheese mixtures. Top with remaining bread. Spread the outsides of sandwiches with remaining butter.
- Toast sandwiches on a griddle over medium-low heat for 2-4 minutes on each side or until bread is golden brown and cheeses are melted.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin