Kids will love this healthy, fun dish to start the day. It is high in protein
and filled with Mexican flavors.
- 2 eggs
- 5 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons skim milk 30 mL
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 1 mL
- 1 (15 ounce/426 mL) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed, drained and mashed
- 1/4 cup salsa 60 mL
- 1 tablespoon canola oil 15 mL
- 4 whole wheat flour tortillas, 8-inch (20 cm)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese 60 mL
- Chopped green onions
- Non-fat Greek yogurt
- In medium mixing bowl, scramble eggs, egg whites, skim milk and pepper.
- In medium skillet, heat black beans and salsa over medium heat for 5 minutes,
- Set aside and keep warm.
- In large non-stick skillet, heat canola oil over medium heat. Cook eggs for 3
to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally to scramble.
- Place tortillas on work surface. Divide egg mixture equally in center of each
- Add black beans mixture and cheese evenly over eggs.
- Add desired toppings and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 tacos | Serving size: 1 taco
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving (without optional toppings): Calories 390
Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 1.5 g Cholesterol 105mg Sodium 380mg Carbohydrates 49g
Fibre 11g Protein 23g