Steakhouse Breakfast Sandwich
There is no better way to start your day. Steakhouse Breakfast Sandwich boasts sirloin steak, three cheeses, mushrooms, and, of course, the traditional egg, all nestled between two slices of focaccia.
Blue Cheese Spread
- 8 ounces (1 1/2 cups) blue cheese crumbles
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 tablespoon shallots
- 12 ounces assorted mushrooms (buttons, creminis, and portobellos)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Butter, for sautéing
- 2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut in thin strips
- 12 large eggs*
- 2 half sheets Asiago cheese focaccia, each cut into 12 squares
Do not allow raw or cooked eggs to remain at room temperature for longer than one hour (including preparation and service time).
- Blue Cheese Spread: Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Chill.
- Sautéed Mushrooms: Melt 1 ounce butter in large sauté pan.
- Add shallots and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until mushrooms have softened. Keep warm.
- Steak Strips: For each serving, heat butter in sauté pan over medium high
- Sear 2 1/2 ounces sirloin steak strips, season with salt and pepper and sauté until thoroughly cooked. Keep warm.
- For each sandwich, cook one large egg over medium heat in spray-coated nonstick pan until white is set and yolk begins to thicken, but is not hard.
- Flip over and cook briefly on other side for additional firmness.
- Sandwich Assembly: Split focaccia and grill the cut sides until arm.
- Cover bottom slice with 3 tablespoons blue cheese spread.
- Top with 2 tablespoons sautéed mushrooms, steak strips and fried egg.
- Cover with focaccia top.
- Serve immediately.
Yield: 12 sandwiches
Recipe and photo used with permission from:
American Egg Board