Chocolate Belgian Waffles
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Hi-maize Fiber or King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour*
- 1/2 cup Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa or Dutch-process cocoa
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (4 ounces) semisweet chocolate mini chips or coarsely chopped chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup pearl sugar, optional*
* Using flour instead of Hi-maize and omitting the pearl sugar will yield a less-crisp
- Stir together the starter ingredients, and let rest, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Combine the flour, Hi-maize, cocoa, espresso powder, and salt in a separate bowl.
- When the starter is ready, mix in the eggs, melted butter, and vanilla, scraping
down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients, chocolate chips, and pearl sugar, mixing to combine.
- Let the batter rest, covered, for 60 minutes.
- Heat the waffle iron to the setting of your choice during the final few minutes
of the batter's resting time.
- Stir down the batter, then scoop a heaping 1/4 cup onto the hot waffle iron.
Close the lid and cook until the waffle's done; irons vary, so we can't give a specific
- Transfer the finished waffle to a ready plate, and serve with whipped cream and
chocolate sauce, if desired.
Hands-on time: 30 to 40 min | Yield: eight 7" to 8" round or heart-shaped waffles
Tip from our bakers: Instead of making and serving waffles one by one, make a
full batch, and keep them warm in a preheated 200 degrees F oven until you're ready
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
King Arthur Flour