Death by Chocolate Waffles
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs, beaten until frothy
- Heat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, whole wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over very low heat, melt butter, chocolate
and sugar. Whisk until smooth, remove from heat, then whisk in milk and eggs.
- Make a well in dry ingredients, pour in chocolate mixture and blend just until
everything is combined. Let batter stand for several minutes.
- Pour about 1/2 to
3/4 cup batter into very hot waffle iron and bake until waffles are golden and crisp.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 4 waffles
Nutrition information: calories 520, carbohydrates 56 grams, protein 12 grams,
fat 30 grams, sodium 500 milligrams, dietary fiber 4 grams