Granny Smith Oatmeal Waffles
These are great topped with warm cinnamon-scented chunky applesauce and a dollop
of creme fraîche.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, grated
- Stir together flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg
in mixing bowl.
- Beat eggs in a separate bowl; stir in buttermilk, oil, brown sugar or honey and
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients, stirring just until blended. Fold in the
grated apple. Cover and let batter sit for 1 hour before using.
- Heat waffle iron. Pour batter from cup or pitcher onto center of hot waffle iron.
Bake for about 5 minutes or until steaming stops. Remove waffle carefully.