Cappuccino Angel Food Cake with Italian Meringue
Here is a devilishly low in fat angel food cake!
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated
- 3 tablespoons instant cappuccino coffee drink
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 14 egg whites at room temperature
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup
- 4 egg whites at room temperature
- Pinch cream of tartar
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift flour into a dry mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Sift sugar, cinnamon and cappuccino coffee powder together into a separate
bowl. Set aside.
- Using a copper or stainless steel bowl, beat egg whites first until foamy.
At this point add salt and cream of tartar if using stainless steel bowl and
then beat egg whites to soft peaks.
- Gently fold in sugar cappuccino powder mixture into egg whites with rubber
- Next, fold flour in to egg white and sugar mixture in 2 batches.
- Now, gently fold in vanilla and almond extract into batter. When all has
been incorporated, pour batter into a 10-inch non-stick tube pan and smooth
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cake is creamy coffee
brown color and top springs back when gently touched with finger and/or a wooden
skewer comes out clean.
- Cool cake upside down in pan.
- When cool, remove cake from pan and frost with Italian Meringue and sprinkle
with cocoa powder if desired.
- Italian Meringue: In a small heavy-bottom pan dissolve sugar with water
over low heat. Increase heat to medium and cook until sugar syrup reaches 239
degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- As sugar syrup approaches desired temperature, beat egg whites at room temperature
in a copper or stainless steal bowl until foamy; add cream of tartar if using
stainless bowl and beat until soft peaks form. Slowly pour hot syrup onto egg
whites and beat on high speed until bowl feels cool to the touch.
- Use immediately or refrigerate in a covered container for up to 24 hours.
Yield: 14 servings at approximately 273 calories; 0.6 gram total fat; 0 milligrams
cholesterol; 62 grams carbohydrate; 0.2gram dietary fiber; 5.6 grams protein; 135
Yield 3 1/2 cups or 14 (1/4 cup) servings at approximately 88 calories; 0
fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 21.5 grams carbohydrate; 0.3 gram dietary fiber;
1 gram protein; 17 milligrams sodium