Chocolate Cinnamon Angel Food Cake
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (10-12 eggs)
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Bring egg whites to room temperature, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, sift flour, cocoa, confectioners' sugar and cinnamon together
three times. Set aside.
- In a large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla
extract with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high speed
until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a larger bowl if needed.
- Sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over the beaten egg whites. Fold
- Repeat, folding in the remaining flour mixture in fourths.
- Pour into ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Bake on the lowest rack in the oven
at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until the top springs back when touched.
- Immediately invert cake (leave in pan); cool thoroughly.
- Loosen sides of cake from pan; remove.
Makes 16 slices.