Chocolate Angel Food Cake
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (about 12) large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups superfine granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- In a small bowl, dissolve 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of the cocoa powder
in 1/4 cup boiling water.
- In a very large bowl, beat the egg whites with salt and cream of tartar
until they hold soft peaks.
- Beat in 3/4 cup sugar, a little at a time, and beat whites until they hold
- Fold in cocoa mixture and vanilla extract.
- Into a bowl, sift together 4 times flour, remaining sugar and cocoa.
- Sift the mixture over egg white mixture in 2 batches, just folding it in
- Fold in grated chocolate.
- Spoon batter into a 10-inch angel food cake pan and, with a knife, cut through
several times to eliminate air pockets.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 40 minutes.
- Invert in pan on rack and cool completely.
- Run a thin knife around cake and turn out on cake plate.