Chocolate-Orange Angel Food Cake
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups
egg whites (about 12)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups orange sherbet, softened
- Move oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sift together powdered sugar, flour and cocoa.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl on medium speed until
- Beat in granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high speed, adding
salt with the last addition of sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy.
Do not under-beat.
- Sprinkle cocoa mixture, 1/4 cup at a time, over meringue, folding in just
until cocoa mixture disappears.
- Spread batter in ungreased tube pan, 10 x 4 inches. Gently cut through batter
with metal spatula.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until cracks feel dry and top springs back when
- Invert pan onto metal funnel or glass bottle about 2 hours or until cake
is completely cool.
- Remove from pan.
- Slice off top of cake about 1 inch down; set aside. Cut down into cake 1
inch from outer edge and 1 inch from edge of hole, leaving substantial "walls"
on each side. Remove cake within cuts with curved knife or spoon, being careful
to leave a base of cake 1 inch thick. Spoon sherbet into cake cavity; smooth
up. Replace top of cake.
- Cover and freeze about 3 hours or until firm.
Yield: 16 servings
Posted by Marla at Recipe Goldmine 11/30/2001 8:26 am.