Delta Mocha Chiffon Cake
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon
instant coffee granules
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream
Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream Filling
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1/2 cup whipping
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons coffee liqueur*
Chocolate Fudge Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- chocolate-covered coffee beans
- Cake: Stir together first 3 ingredients until blended; cool.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add cocoa mixture,
egg yolks, oil, and vanilla; beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer
until foamy. Fold into batter. Pour batter into 4 greased and floured 9-inch
round cake pans.
- Bake 2 layers at a time at 325 degrees F for 17 to 20 minutes or until a
wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool layers in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans, and cool on wire racks covered with plastic wrap or wax
paper to prevent layers from adhering to racks.
- Spread about 1/2 cup Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream Filling between layers.
Frost with Chocolate Fudge Frosting. Garnish, if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.
- Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream Filling: Beat first 3 ingredients at medium
speed with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Microwave whipping cream at MEDIUM (50% power) until warm (do not boil).
- Stir together warm cream and coffee granules until dissolved; cool.
- Add whipping cream mixture and liqueur to butter mixture, beating until
- Chocolate Fudge Frosting: Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer
- Add remaining ingredients, beating until smooth.
Makes 1 (9-inch) layer cake; 1 3/4 cups Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream Filling;
3 1/2 cups Chocolate Fudge Frosting.
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract may be substituted for liqueur.
To a make a torte, cut each cake layer in half horizontally with a serrated
knife, and use 1/4 cup Chocolate-Coffee Buttercream Filling between layers. Frost
Source: Southern Living Holiday Recipes