Lime Angel Food Cake
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine, cubed
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (10-inch) prepared angel food cake
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- In the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and yolks.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the sugar, lime juice and peel. Cook over simmering water
while gradually whisking in butter. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened
and reaches 160 degrees F.
- Strain; refrigerate until completely cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat whipping cream and vanilla extract until stiff peaks
form; gradually beat in remaining sugar. Gently fold into lime mixture.
- Split cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a serving
plate. Spread with 2/3 cup lime mixture. Repeat. Place top layer on cake.
- Frost top and sides with remaining lime mixture.
- Sprinkle top and sides of cake with coconut.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 12 servings