Orange Chiffon Cake
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose or unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; set aside.
- In large bowl, cream 1 cup sugar and margarine until light and fluffy.
- Add orange juice, lemon peel and egg yolks; beat for 2 minutes at medium
- Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Gradually blend in flour
and baking powder at low speed until well mixed.
- By hand, fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour into ungreased 9-inch square or 11 x 7-inch pan.
- In small bowl, combine almonds, 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted
in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm or cool.
Yield: 9 servings