Raspberry Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries, thawed (reserve liquid)
- Water (if needed)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 egg yolks
- 1 cup egg whites (7 to 8)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 cups frozen whipped cream, thawed
- Prepare Raspberry Sauce; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Raspberry Sauce: Drain one package frozen raspberries, thawed. Reserve liquid.
If necessary add water to liquid to make 2/3 cup.
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cornstarch in saucepan; stir in raspberry
liquid. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens
and boils. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons orange juice and raspberries.
- Cake: Mix cocoa and water; cool.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Beat oil, vanilla extract, yolks and cocoa mixture until smooth.
- Beat whites and cream of tartar in large bowl, until very stiff peaks form;
gradually pour yolk mixture over whites, folding just until blended. Pour into
ungreased tube pan, 10 x 4-inches.
- Bake on lowest oven rack until top springs back when touched, 65 to 70 minutes.
- Invert on heat proof funnel; let stand until cake is cold.
- Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers.
- Spread 1 1/3 cups whipped topping and scant 1/2 cup raspberry sauce between
each layer and over top of cake.
- Refrigerate any remaining cake.