Spicy Chiffon Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 3 unbeaten egg yolks
- 3/8 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nuts
- Cake: Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice
and cloves. Make well in center and add cooking oil, egg yolks and water. Beat
- In larger bowl, whip egg whites with cream of tartar until very stiff.
- Pour egg yolk mixture gradually over egg whites, gently folding until just
- Pour into ungreased pan 8-inch or 9-inch square pan, or use a 9-inch tube
- For 8- or 9-inch square pan, bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes.
For a 9-inch tube pan bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Nutty Frosting: Melt shortening in pan. Remove from heat and blend in flour,
salt and milk.
- Stir in brown sugar and remove from heat.
- Stir in sugar and beat until consistency to spread.
- Add vanilla extract and nuts. Use 1/2 for Spicy Chiffon Cake.