- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup sifted granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons water
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Sift flour once, measure, and sift four times.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar, lemon rind and water to egg yolks and beat with rotary
egg beater until very thick and light.
- Add lemon juice gradually, beating constantly.
- Add flour all at once, then stir until just blended.
- Beat egg whites and salt with rotary egg beater or whisk.
- When foamy, add cream of tartar and beat until stiff enough to hold up in
peaks, but not dry.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well
with beater or whisk.
- Fold in egg yolk mixture.
- Turn into ungreased 9-inch tube pan. Cut gently through batter with knife
to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour, or until done.
- Remove from oven and invert pan for 1 hour or until cold.