Almond, Orange and Polenta Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- Grated zest of 2 oranges (set a few pinches
aside for garnish, if desired)
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Creme fraiche or whipped
cream, to taste
- Vin Santo or almond-flavored liqueur, to taste
- Sliced almonds
- Orange zest (optional)
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform cake tin.
- Beat the butter until it becomes pale and soft, then add sugar and beat until
light and creamy. Stir in the ground almonds and the vanilla extract.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly before you add the next one.
- Fold in the orange zest, orange juice, polenta, baking powder and salt.
- Spoon into the buttered cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a deep golden
brown and still a little bit wobbly in the center.
- Cool cake in pan about 20 minutes, then loosen sides of pan and finish cooling.
- To serve, cut into slices, put a dollop of whipped cream or creme fraiche on
top of each piece and drizzle with a little of the Vin Santo or almond liqueur.
- Add sliced almonds and a sprinkle of orange zest, if desired.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Source: Jamie Oliver for the Almond Board of California