Apple Almond Crumb Cake
with Salted Caramel Sauce
If you want an apple cake that is brimming with apples, this Apple Almond Crumb Cake is for you.
We’ve taken an almond cake batter, filled it with sliced tart apples and topped it with a rich crumb
topping. When baked, the cake has a crunchy top and almost pudding like rich interior. Serve it with
a spoonful of sour cream or a dab of salted caramel sauce.
- 1/2 cup sliced natural almonds
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Love’n Bake® Almond Paste
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 10-inch spring form
pan. Sprinkle with sliced almonds. Shake out any almonds that do not stick
to the pan and reserve for garnish.
- Crumb Topping: Blend together the flour, almonds, brown sugar,
butter, cinnamon and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle
until dry and crumbling.
- Cake Batter: Blend together the Love’n Bake® Almond Paste and
sugar in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle until smooth, about 2
- Add the butter, lemon juice and vanilla extract. When smooth, add the
eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl between each addition. Add the
flour and blend well. Fold in the sliced apples.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the top with a spatula.
Scatter the crumb topping evenly over the batter. Sprinkle the reserved
sliced almonds on top.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 325 degrees F and bake until evenly browned, for
approximately 20 to 30 additional minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan then unmold onto a cooling rack.
- Salted Caramel Sauce: Have all the ingredients for the
caramel sauce measured out before you begin. Combine the sugar, water and
corn syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar
dissolves. Brush any sugar crystals that stick to the sides of the pan with
a pastry brush dipped in clean water. Raise the heat to high and cook the
sugar until it turns a deep amber color.
- Immediately remove the pan from the heat. Pour in the cream, butter and
salt and carefully whisk the mixture until it is smooth.
- Serve wedges of the cake with a spoonful of sour cream and a drizzle of
the caramel sauce.
Yield: 12 servings
Variation: Try substituting white chocolate for the caramel drizzle.
Recipe Courtesy of Love’n Bake®.
Recipe and photo used with permission from: American Almond Company
This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through these links help support Recipegoldmine.com at no additional cost to you. Please see our disclosure policy.