Applesauce Loaf Cake
This recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup lard
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup black walnuts, chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat applesauce in large saucepan.
- Add lard. Stir until melted.
- Add raisins and baking soda. Cool slightly.
- Add flour, salt and spices. Mix well.
- Fold in nut meats. Pour into a greased large loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool and frost with Caramel Frosting.
- Boil brown sugar, butter and milk for 3 minutes (can be done in the microwave)
and let cool until just warm.
- Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and right
consistency. If too stiff you can add a little milk.